There are two different lenses to view the guidance:
- Roles-Based Guidance examines the change forces relevant to each of a defined set of State DOT roles, along with their implications for the organization from each role’s perspective within several time periods: now, over the next few years, and five years and beyond.
- Situation-Based Guidance is directed at the change forces that are relevant to a defined set of existing and anticipated State DOT situations.
The reader can refer to their specific role or another role of interest in the guidebook as a reference for change forces relevant to that role over several time periods.
The roles included in the guidebook are:
- Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
- Chief Operating Officer (COO)
- Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
- Chief Technology Officer/Chief Information Officer (CIO)/Data Lead
- Chief Human Resources (HR) Officer
- Chief Engineer
- Chief Innovation Officer (CIO)
- Communications/PR/Information Dissemination/Government Affairs
- Planning/Policy Lead
- Performance Management Lead
- Knowledge Management Lead
The reader can also look at the guidebook to understand potential current or future situations impacted by change forces. The situation-based scenarios allow the reader to see multiple views of some common state DOT situations.
The situations included in the guidebook are:
- Need to undertake a major system upgrade
- Downsizing/budget cuts/doing more with less
- Initiative fatigue/managing multiple initiatives
- Making better use of data
- Increasing demands for emergency management
- Changing workforce demographics/workforce retirements
- Improving employee and partner engagement
- Planning for CAVs and other transformational technologies
- Funding uncertainty
- Finding new sources of data
Both the roles- and situation-based scenarios incorporate the change forces, needs and strategies described in the ACB Framework to understand trends, identify capability needs and develop specific strategies that can be directed at addressing any gaps in the agency’s capabilities.