Workforce management creates and develops the human resources needed to carry out the strategies, goals and objectives of the agency. By actively incorporating workforce management, the agency has the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to deploy its most critical activities today, and quickly respond to future human capital needs.
According to the AASHTO Workforce Toolkit, the top ten DOT workforce needs are:
- Attracting and retaining talent
- Retooling the workforce to meet evolving business needs
- Developing the next generation of leaders
- Preserving institutional knowledge
- Employee conflicts and performance issues
- Organizational change – reengineering and reorganizing
- Improving HR efficiency and effectiveness
By employing workforce management, transportation agencies can reflect on the gaps created by these workforce needs and create additional capability in these areas.