One benefit of examining the impact of capabilities through the lens of situations is in providing a structured approach to thinking through multiple facets of a scenario. Each of the two-page situation-based guidance stories includes a common set of elements:
- Context for each situation and how it may arise within a transportation agency, providing the background and environment under which the scenario is likely to occur,
- Description of the change forces involved in the situation,
- Essential capabilities required to respond to the situation,
- Strategies for adapting to the change force described in the situation,
- Resources that can be used to identify organizational needs in the situation and address change forces by strengthening existing capabilities or building new agency capabilities.
The guidebook reflects a sample of current situations of interest to state transportation agencies. It will be expanded over time in the online guidance platform as new challenges, needs, strategies and resources emerge.